Study In Australia | Things You Need To Know
Australia is a top pick education destination for Singaporean students. With an excellent reputation in offering exciting and world-class education programs, it is no surprise that plenty of Singaporean students choose to study in Australia each year. They choose Australia because it offers:
– An advanced education system with a reputation for excellence
– Globally recognised courses and qualifications
– Cheaper tuition fees and living expenses as compared to many other English-speaking countries
– Permission to work while studying
– Well-regarded qualifications to support a career on your return to Singapore
– Appealing, vibrant and multicultural cities
– Enjoyable lifestyle with great weather
Australian Education System
The Australian education system is distinguished from many other countries by the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF). The AQF has 10 levels and links school, vocational and university education qualifications into one national system. This allows you to move easily from one level of study to the next, and from one institution to another, as long as you satisfy student visa requirements.
Australian Academic Year
The academic year in Australia varies depending on the level of study you are undertaking. Many institutions also offer a mid-year, or second semester start. Start dates and the number of semesters vary by course and institution, so please check directly on your institution’s website for details. Here is a general guide of the academic start dates for the different levels of study:
1. For foundation year, the length of study is usually a year and starts in February but may vary by course and institutions.
2. For vocational education and training, the length of study is from 1 to 4 years where the term will start in February.
3. For undergraduate studies, it is typically a 3 years progromme (or 4 years if you are planning for a honours degree) where the semesters usually starts in March.
Most of the Singaporean students go to Australia to study the sciences, especially the health sciences. Think Medicine, Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Nutrition, Dietetics, Pharmacy etc. The Australian health science courses are renowned and well-recognised globally so students will be able to seek job opportunities anywhere in the world. Of course, you can check with the relevant Singaporean authorities whether your degree will be recognised.
Australian Student Visa Requirements
The visa you need depends largely on the courses you want to study, and how long you wish to stay there. You can find out information about each type of visa on the Department of Immigration and Border Protection’s official website.
The Process of Applying for an Australian Student Visa Online
You must create an account using DIBP’s online application system, called ImmiAccount, to complete and submit your application for a student visa Australia. The system will also allow you to track the status of your application once you have submitted it.
For this, you will need:
– Proof of enrolment (the Electronic Confirmation Enrolment)
– Overseas Student Health Cover details
– Your GTE (Genuine Temporary Entrant) statement
– A valid passport
– Visa application fee
You are required to submit your visa application no later than six weeks before your course begins, and no earlier than 12 weeks.
Employment Ater Graduation
Many students would prefer to stay back in Australia after graduation to gain the international exposure before heading back to their home country. The Australian goverment allows international students to stay in Australia for between 18 months to four years after graduating depending on what kind of qualification you have. Students will have to first apply for a Graduate Skilled Temporary (subclass 485) visa.
There are two types of Temporary Graduate Visa:
1. The Graduate Work stream is for international students who graduate with skills and qualifications that relate to an occupation considered in demand in the Australian labour market, as indicated in the list of eligible skilled occupations. A visa in this stream is generally granted for 18 months.
2. The Post-Study Work stream offers extended options for working in Australia to eligible graduates of a higher education degree. Under this stream, successful applicants are granted a visa with a visa period of two, three or four years’ duration, depending on the highest educational qualification they have obtained.
To get more information about your chosen Australian University, visa process, medicine courses, accommodation etc., you can contact an expert education consultant at AECC Global, an education consultancy and agency in Singapore.
With an emphatic global presence, AECC Global has become very popular among Singaporean studying abroad in the countries like Australia, New Zealand, and the US.