Best Banks in the UK for International Student | How to Open One?

2 minutes reading time (428 words)

Moving to the UK to study? Well, that's a brilliant decision!  But first, here's one thing that you must know before you fly to the UK as an international student - How to manage your money and expenses?! 
Help GIFs | Tenor

→ Open an international student bank account in a reputable bank in the UK that will help you to maximize your money (and to survive). 

Dollar Dollar Bill Yall GIFs | Tenor

Here is a list of things that you should look out for while opening an international student bank account in the UK:

Choose the right type of account that will meet your needs

In the UK, there are two types of accounts -

  • Current account 
  • Savings account

With a current account, you can deposit and withdraw cash whenever you like. You will receive a checkbook and a credit card along with your current account. As an international student, opening a current account will be ideal for you.
With a savings account, you can collect money over a long period of time. Working students and those who save money for travel or emergency purposes prefer this type of account.

Choose the bank that is closest to your residence

When you choose a bank, always make sure to choose the one that is closest to your university and residence. This way, you will be able to seek immediate assistance without much hassle whenever you have an issue.

Choose the bank in the UK that suits your needs the most: 

You may consider a few options that are quite common among international students. Listed as below:- 

  • HSBC Bank
  • National Westminster Bank (Natwest)
  • Santander Bank
  • Barclays Bank

How to open an international student bank account? 

The document requirement differs from each bank and therefore, it is always advisable that you check with the bank you are applying to for the list of documents to be submitted.  Listed below are documents that are prerequisite in most banks -

  • A valid proof of full name, residential address, residential telephone number, campus telephone number and university/college address
  • A passport or ID card (student ID, birth certificate, driver's license)
  • A valid proof that you are a student (you can request your university for a letter)
  • Biometric residence permits (BRPs) 
  • Money to be deposited in your account

Did You Get It GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

Still confused about choosing the right bank and the right type of account? Reach out to us. Our counsellors at AECC Global Singapore have been helping students with their study abroad goals for years and we are always ready to offer you the right kind of assistance. Wait no more, get in touch with us today!

Related Posts


Let's get social.

Get In Touch

Study Destinations

Australia                      USA

Canada                        UK

New Zealand              Ireland

Copyright © 2024 aecc. Useful Links | Glossary | Terms of Use | Privacy PolicySite Map
Get in TouchAECC SearchAECC StudentWhatsApp Us