How to Apply for a Student Visa for New Zealand
Study in New Zealand 99 Hits
6 minutes reading time (1119 words)
[:en]A stunning natural environment with unique culture and endless opportunities in adventure and sports. Does this sound like a place where you would ideally want to pursue your education? If yes, then New Zealand is the perfect place for you to begin your study overseas journey!
Like in the case of every other country, you will need a student visa as an international student. To be specific, if you are planning to study a full-time course which is longer than three months in total duration in New Zealand, you will definitely require a student visa.
Furthermore, depending on the condition of your visa, you’ll also be permitted to work up to 20 hours a week during a term and even full-time during holidays.
Before you decide to begin your overseas journey in New Zealand, you need to be aware of the requirements of the student visa in general, and whether or not you will need it.
Now, let’s learn about the different student visas available in New Zealand and how you can apply for it.
Types of Student Visa in New Zealand?
There are different types of student visas available for international students, typically depending on the type of course they choose.
1. Fee-Paying Student Visa: Allows you to study full time in New Zealand at an accredited university for 4 years. At the same time, you will also be allowed to work for 20 hours a week during the term, and full time during semester breaks.
2. Singapore Work Exchange Programme Visa: Applicable for students from Singapore who are looking forward to gaining work experience in New Zealand before completing their course of study, or after graduating from a University in Singapore.
With this visa, you can work in New Zealand for about 6 months by taking part in an agreed exchange program between your university and a university in New Zealand or polytechnic. The study period or training is for 6 months.
3. Exchange Student Visa: Allows you to study full-time in New Zealand for up to 4 years in an approved student exchange program. With this visa, you also acquire an added benefit that allows you to work part-time up to 20 hours per week during your term and full time during semester breaks.
4. Pathway Student Visa: This visa allows you to study up to 3 consecutive courses in New Zealand on a single student visa. You may also be able to study up to 5 years and work during your study period. Depending on the course of study you have enrolled for, you can work part-time up to 20 hours per week and full time on holidays.
5. Foreign Government-Supported Student Visa: You can study full-time in New Zealand for up to 4 years if you hold a foreign government loan or a scholarship. In addition to this, you also have the benefit of working up to 20 hours per week and full time during holidays depending on your course of study.
Benefits of a New Zealand Student Visa
Student Visa in New Zealand has its own set of benefits and advantages for international students.
1. Work While you study
Who doesn’t love making extra money while studying overseas? And what if you can simultaneously gain some international experience in your favourite field of work too? Sounds wonderful, right?
The New Zealand government has made this absolutely possible for you! As an international student, you can work up to 20 hours per week and full time during the semester breaks. And, if you're pursuing your PhD or masters in the research field, you don't have any restrictions when it comes to working hours. You are permitted to work for as long as you want. This is an additional wish come true for many students.
2. Post-Study Work Visa
If you plan on an extended stay in New Zealand to get some work experience after successfully completing your education, then you will need to apply for a Post-study Work Visa. This visa will allow you to work for about 3 years in New Zealand after you graduate. However, it varies according to your course and university. With the post-study work visa, you’ll get an opportunity to seek full-time employment, and experience professional life in New Zealand.
3. Bring your family or partner
Deciding to study overseas, moving from your home country leaving your family and friends behind can make you nervous. And it’s okay to feel that way along the journey. When it comes to studying in New Zealand, the government has something great to offer than just emotional support! Yes, hear this! The New Zealand government student visa policy allows you to bring a family member as your companion throughout your study period. There is also a range of visa options available that could permit your family to join you while you study in New Zealand. This way you can enjoy your experience of studying overseas while still feeling like home!
Requirements for a Student Visa in New Zealand/ Documentations needed to apply for a student visa
It generally takes up to three weeks for the completion of a student or work visa process. It might take longer for certain exceptional cases, where the reviewer may require more information from the students.
In any case, the student will need to provide the following documents for their visa application.
- A passport which must be valid for a minimum of 3 months after your period of stay in New Zealand.
- An offer letter or a letter of acceptance from a New Zealand education provider.
- Evidence that you have sufficient funds to pay for your tuition fees and cover your living expenses throughout your stay. You need to show that you have a minimum of NZ$15,000 for a year of study.
- A medical certificate is required if your study in New Zealand is going to be for more than 12 months.
- Proof of an onward travel ticket - An evidence of already paid-for onward tickets, proof of further funds or confirmation from a sponsor to pay for onward travel. This is to show that you intend to and can afford to leave the country once you complete your studies.
- Copy of the bank statements for the past 6 months.
- Evidence showing that you have met the English language requirements.
That’s about it! Does the process appear tedious to you? Well, don’t worry about it!
We at AECC Global take care of everything! From advising you on the course selection, applications, to helping you secure the right visa, we’ll be walking side by side on this journey of yours. So without any further delay, hurry up and contact us to talk to our educational experts for more information![:]