How to Make Your Personal Statement for University Stand Out?
Have you been considering studying abroad? If you've been thinking about applying to your favorite universities abroad and have been wondering about the Statement of Purpose, here you go.
What is a Personal Statement (SOP), you ask?
A university statement of purpose or personal statement is an essay that a prospective student submits with their application to the university. The essay states the applicant's intentions and reasons for applying to a particular course.
When applying for an undergraduate programme, a good personal statement might make all the difference. It's critical that you thoroughly plan and write yours. For your university application, your personal statement must make a great impression. It's your chance to explain why you want to pursue your chosen course and what talents, experiences, and credentials you possess that will help you succeed as a student.
Your personal statement for university will be read by a member of the Admissions team, who will use it as part of the decision-making process to determine who will be offered a spot.
It's all about you!
Your personal statement for university admissions should clearly show why you choose the course you did. Don't strive too hard to come out as authoritative or persuasive. It is critical that your SOP is truthful and accurately portrays your personality, intentions, and goals. Your primary purpose is to explain your intentions and aspirations, not to persuade the reader.
Be clear. Be analytical
Your writing must be well-organized and consistent. Analyze your thoughts and interests rather than simply stating them. Express your passions and back them up with relevant examples that will assist the examiner to see why you are a good candidate.
Academics / Everything
The examiner would like to gain a whole picture of the candidate. As a result, talk about matters other than your educational credentials. Demonstrate your academic and non-academic abilities. You might want to include:
- Internships and part-time work
- Your voluntary work history
- Your advantages and disadvantages
- Your positions of authority
- Your accomplishments and honours
- You might also have other helpful skills.
Conclude it with your goals
You should explain how your chosen field of study will help you. Don't limit yourself to describing why you enjoy the course. Discuss how it relates to your objectives. Describe how taking this course can help you reach your future aims and job goals.
Personal Statement Checklist
All successful SOPs need a good start, so let's get the ball rolling. There are several crucial elements of information that outline the format of your SOP:
- Begin your SOP with an anecdote that exemplifies your passion for this profession (i.e. story or example)
- Mention the source of inspiration
- Talk about a significant event or personal experience that influenced your academic or career choices.
- Provide context for your mastery of the discipline through practical experiences and projects. Doesn't have to be helpful to just talk about your mastery of the discipline, it could be about a topic in the field that you want to study more in-depth.
- Could say whether you want to attain skills in this profession (ie: goal)
- If you want to attend a particular course, mention that you hope to acquire skills
- If you already have these skills, show how they will be enhanced by attending this course
Here are the five mistakes to avoid in your personal statement
- Don't exaggerate your family history. Stick to basic info about yourself.
- Be concise and direct with phrases that don't sound flattery.
- Avoid using technical jargon that is unfamiliar to most people.
- Be honest while writing your SOP.
- Avoid using unusual fonts and layouts — it will distract from your application and look unprofessional.
While it might seem a little tricky, writing a good statement of purpose is all about how well you can express your interests and capabilities. Want to get started now?
Get in touch with our education counsellors at AECC Global by filling out the enquiry form! We'll help you kickstart your study abroad journey.