Study in Australia | Why you should study in Perth (WA)?
3 minutes reading time (587 words)
[:en]Perth, the capital city of WA, with a population of almost 2 million people is well-known for being the most isolated city in the world. If you enjoy a relax laid-back lifestyle and a warm sunny climate, you will probably love to study in Perth. Perth is also commonly regarded as the Education City in Australia with a relatively high proportion of students among its overall population. The student population in Western Australia is around 134,000. Of these, almost a third of students (29 per cent) are from overseas. Being an international student in Perth, you will gain a world-class education from top rated universities and colleges.
Why Singaporeans should study in Perth?
- Perth and Singapore share the same time zone which makes it easy for you to keep in touch with your family and friends.
- It is only about 5.5 hours flight away with many airlines offering direct flights to Perth.
- Affordable student lifestyle - Median rents in Perth are much lower than in bigger cities like Sydney and Melbourne.
- Lower living expenses – Perth has some of the lowest living expenses in Australia for international students. TIP: As a student, you will receive a 40 per cent discount on all public transport throughout the state.
Study options in Western Australia
There are five universities in Western Australia, in addition to a range of private higher education providers and TAFE institutes.
1. Foundation colleges (find out what is foundation programmes here)
- Canning College
2. TAFE institutes/polytechnics
- TAFE International Western Australia
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Murdoch University
- The University of Notre Dame Australia
- The University of Western Australia
Student life in Perth
If you love the sun, sand and sea - Perth will be the city you should study in! With more hours of sunshine per year than other cities in Australia, you will enjoy warm summers and short, mild winters. Situated on the Swan River and right next to an endless coastline of white sand beaches, Perth offers plenty of opportunities to make the most of the warm weather. If you’re looking for the ultimate Australian lifestyle, head to the beach for a swim or a surf on your study breaks.
If you prefer the city life, Perth combines its lively urban charm of bustling shops, restaurants and bars with spectacular outdoor spaces. Go see some live Jazz at the Laneway Lounge or take a stroll in King’s Park and the Botanic Garden, one of the world’s largest inner-city parks.
Working in Perth
With the Post Study Work Visa, international students may choose to stay back and work after completing their degree. As a growing city, Perth gives you an opportunity to be part of an economically thriving city. Perth currently generates around 19 per cent of Australia’s jobs, but have only 11 per cent of the population – this means that international students who wish to gain relevant work experience during their study or at the end of their degree will be at an advantage. You will have a higher chance of being employed! Apart from earning some pocket money, working in Perth will also give you an opportunity to be part of the community and gain some work experience which may be useful for you when you graduate.
Read more about working in Australia with your student visa.
From beaches to the vast Australian outback, and back to the vibrant city centre, there is no place quite like Perth. Experience it yourself – study in Perth!
#StudyOverseas #StudyInAustralia #WesternAustralia #Perth[:]